Solana Tech Roundup
This past week it was announced that versioned transactions and address lookup tables will go live at epoch 357, or approximately October 7th at 20:00 UTC. Be sure to check out how to use versioned transactions and address lookup tables on the integration guide.
As a reminder, if you're a developer going to Breakpoint November 4-7, make sure you apply for a discounted developer ticket.
Private Peer to Peer Networks
There is a proposal being discussed within the #proj-private-p2p-network channel in the Solana tech discord. What the proposal states is there is currently an issue with RPCs and other non-voting nodes on the network eating up bandwidth through gossip, turbine, repair and more. These non-voting nodes do not participate in consensus and degrade the performance on the cluster.
The proposed solution is to move these non-voting nodes to a private network that has a gateway node to the cluster. Especially with some RPC providers having large amounts of nodes the RPC nodes could be put behind a gateway in order to not add traffic to the cluster. This proposal is still not drafted so be sure to read the information under the #proj-private-p2p-network channel on the Solana tech discord to learn more.
With versioned transactions going live on October 7th, make sure you understand the integration changes outline on the versioned transaction guide.
List of Changes
- Check snapshot version before processing
- Benching 2x transaction size for economics
- Nodes with 0% commision now show up on rewards under getBlock
- Enable getting highest blockheight in blockstore
- Create merkle shreds for ledge entries
- Allow unsigned repair requests
- Increase instruction data cost
- Update priority on vote transactions
- Priority is now managed by the transaction fees