Solana Tech Roundup
This past week the Solana network hit 100 billion transactions over the total time being live. Address lookup tables and versioned transactions are still slated to be activated near the end of September. If you're interested on learning more about address lookup tables and versioned transactions, check out the thread by solana devs on twitter.
As a reminder, if you're a developer going to Breakpoint November 4-7, make sure you apply for a discounted developer ticket.
Upcoming Change Highlight
Extending Program Data
The extend program data feature is a result of the recent realloc change that happened with accounts earlier this year. With reallocing accounts now being possible, it makes sense to be able to do this with programs as well.
Currently developers pay for twice the program size to be stored on chain at first deployment and may never need all that space. Once the extend program data feature is activated, a developer can pay as they grow their program instead.
The account compression program now has a JS library to interact with it.
List of Changes
- Track number of staked/stale/dead nodes in turbine
- Tracking dead nodes helps determine issues with turbine if there are no neighbors to send information to
- Optimize get_slots_since with batches to avoid too many disk reads
- Handle Snapshot requests in priority order
- Set a priority for different types of snapshot requests and handle the highest priority instead of the latest request
- Improve serialization benches to use large number of instruction accounts(255)
- Make sure extendProgramData write locks the program account
- Rust RPC-Client versioned transaction support