Solana Tech Roundup
This past week a number of changes were made to the release schedule for Solana. 1.13 and 1.14 versions were made and Testnet was moved to 1.14 for stabilization. Devnet and Mainnet-beta are currently still on 1.10.X. The version changes were made in order to accelerate QUIC changes out to Mainnet-beta.
As a reminder, if you're a developer going to Breakpoint November 4-7, make sure you apply for a discounted developer ticket.
Upcoming Change Highlight
Increasing Transaction Size
With QUIC rolling out to Mainnet-beta, an upcoming change to look out for is the increasing of transaction size. Currently transactions are capped at 1232 bytes and limit the amount of things you can do with a program. There is now work being done to double that transaction size limit and already tests exist to try it out.
Increasing transaction size will take time and a lot of testing involved making sure that the increase does not have any unexpected issues. For now you can check out the work involved on Github.
In the future the amount of accounts that can be locked is increasing from 64 to 128. This change enables higher amounts of composability across different programs.
List of Changes
- web3.js: get transaction version
- add version getter to VersionedTransaction class
- RPC: Add serialization-control enum for RPC Options
- Add OptionSerializer enum and custom Serialize implementation to support skipping, serializing the type default, and serializing None for the same field in different contexts.
- Increase transaction account lock limit from 64 to 128
- Added a feature gate that bumps the account lock limit and CPI account info limit both to 128.
- docs: Document the pubsub client APIs